Monday, August 15, 2011

Not Quite Double Nickels

There were 3 route options for the 2011 Bridge Pedal in Portland, OR this past weekend. We chose the shortest route... 6 bridges in 13 miles. Mrs Smitty and I rousted ourselves and the kids out of bed and got ourselves and our bikes onto the MAX light-rail into downtown from our hotel in the suburbs. We got there in plenty of time to sign-in and make our 9am start time.
I read a bit of criticism from more serious bicycle riders that this is a ride to avoid because of inexperienced adult riders, the number of kids on the course (also inexperienced) , and crowding in general along the route.
Yes, there were a lot of people, and it seemed as though many of them weren't frequent riders, but everyone that we came across seemed to be there to have a good time and enjoy the ride. Even the 30-minute line to get to the start was a fun party-like atmosphere.
Once we were on our way people naturally spread out and the route opened up.
Each bridge offered a unique perspective on the Rose City.
For whatever reason we didn't take pictures on/of/from all the bridges. But each bridge had its own beauty even under mostly overcast skies.
I was impressed by the number of kids that pedaled the route themselves. That's not to say there weren't plenty of kids-as-cargo getting a free ride. There were even a few adults enjoying the "ride" who didn't have to pedal.
The final bridge had a merging + sharp turn thingy that acted as a bottle neck and created a bit of a back up.
Due to a limited time window to keep I-5 closed to motor vehicles for the Bridge Pedal, we ended up being in the final wave of people allowed across the Fremont Bridge (Portlands highest bridge). We more-less had to keep riding to avoid provoking a "Keep it moving" from the Police escort bringing up the rear.
I don't know how many other states still have a statewide 55mph maximum speed limit as Oregon does. Once over the Fremont Bridge (I-5) we merged the Big Dummy into the left lane and put the hammer down but never quite got up to double nickels.
The finish seemed to come too soon. We're interested to do the Bridge Pedal again and might opt for a longer route with more bridges next time.

1 comment:

ghd3 said...

well done! is that a new betty foy I see? Wow!