Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Block Head

You wouldn’t think cutting wood into blocks would be a very time consuming process. We’ve made small sets of blocks (30-50 blocks) for friends in the past and it was a quick enough task. We recently decided to make a set for ourselves. We wanted a larger set, so I bought 13 board feet of European Beech. FYI a BF is 144 cubic inches. Cutting the wood into individual blocks went quick enough but routing the corners and sanding has proven to take way longer than anticipated with 160 blocks to process. Knowing that it would probably take a few more days to get the remaining 50 or so blocks finished, I brought all the ones that were kid ready into the house. We’ve had a blast playing with them. Anza loves to knock over the structures that Chele and I make. Mojave is happy to just be close to the action.
On the guitar building front… I did a little cutting and gluing to create a ‘blank’. Also, a friend created a pattern from the creamsicle/spaceship guitar in the previous post. Seeing the outline traced onto the wood is pretty cool. The outline is kind of hard to see in the pic, but it's there.It seems like everybody around Seattle has their favorite bloom that indicates the transition from winter to spring. For some reason, I’ve had several conversations about it this year. I think the top 3 are crocus, daffodil, and which hazel. While I like all of those, I think the currant is my favorite. I never gave the currant much thought until I had them in my yard. Now I look forward to them blooming all winter. It’s just been in the last few days that our currant bushes have showed signs of waking up from their winter slumber. It doesn’t look like much yet, but I’ll post another picture in a couple weeks when they’re solid pink puffballs of blooms.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

I love that you've been looking forward to currant flowers all winter. that is awesome dude. And did you decide on a color for the guitar? I don't think I helped much...